From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rename /dev/nvme0n1 to /dev/sda
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 14:36:21
1 On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My new laptop uses /dev/nvme0n1 instead of /dev/sda which conflicts
3 > with the script I use to manage about 12 similar laptops running
4 > Gentoo. Is there a udev method for renaming the disk that will work
5 > well with any USB disks that happen to also be attached?
6
7 I'm not certain what you mean by that, but I would guess that you want
8 the nvme disk to show up as /dev/sda, and the USB disk(s) to show up
9 as /dev/sd[b-z].
10
11 It is not possible to accomplish this using udev; the kernel owns the
12 /dev/sdX device namespace, and will sequentially create devices nodes
13 for SCSI-like block devices using that namespace. There is no way to
14 change that using a udev rule.