From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calibre Update Problems
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 21:09:19
1 On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm puzzled by the following, which I checked to compare with the import
3 > error you quoted:
4 >
5 > $ eix -c qtwebkit
6 > [I] dev-qt/qtwebkit (4.8.4(4){tbz2}@08/05/13): The WebKit module for the Qt
7 > toolkit
8 >
9 > $ equery f qtwebkit | grep '.so.'
10 > /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4
11 > /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4.9
12 > /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4.9.3
13 >
14 > $ qfile /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4.9.3
15 > dev-qt/qtwebkit (/usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4.9.3)
16 >
17 > Why the mismatched version numbers, anyone?
18
19 The soname version number does not necessarily have to be the same as
20 the release version, as you see in this case, it's actually somewhat
21 common. MOST packagers try to keep them the same but there's no
22 technical reason for them to be.
23
24 Most noticeably I see a lot of KDE-related packages having so versions
25 that differ from the release version. In this case I guess it is
26 because QtWebkit kind of exists on its own, despite being part of Qt
27 proper since 4.8-ish. Probably QtWebKit interface changes are
28 happening on a different schedule than Qt version releases so they
29 have to keep bumping the so version? Maybe somebody with more
30 knowledge of Qt would know for sure.