From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing a package from being updated
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:17:39
1 Am 18.10.2010 12:06, schrieb Timur Aydin:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am using the ~x86 (testing) version of gentoo linux. After recent
5 > updates, my X windows became extremely sluggish and I found out that the
6 > problem is related to a new version of mesa (7.8.2 specifically). So I
7 > downgraded to version 7.7.1 and my desktop works great again.
8 >
9 > Now I want to prevent mesa from being updated until this issue is sorted
10 > out upstream. I have looked at package.provide, but that didn't work.
11 > Currently, I have placed media-libs/mesa into my
12 > /etc/portage/package.mask file and this seems to do the trick. Is this
13 > the recommended way for handling this situation?
14 >
15 > Being a long time gentoo user, I want to do things the right way, so
16 > just working fine isn't enough :)
19 Hi,
20
21 from man poratage:
22
23 "package.mask
24 A list of package atoms to mask. Useful if specific versions of packages
25 do not work well for you. For example, you swear by the Nvidia
26 drivers, but only versions earlier than 1.0.4496. No problem!"
27
28 Regards kh