From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS error with ssh
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 19:10:58
1 >> I'm not able to ssh to any domain, although IPs work.  I get:
2 >>
3 >> $ ssh example.com
4 >> ssh: Could not resolve hostname example.com: Name or service not known
5 >>
6 >> I can ping domains no problem, and web browsing works.  I've tried
7 >> rebooting and re-emerging openssh.  I am connected to an unfamiliar
8 >> wireless network (with no alternative right now) but I could ssh to
9 >> domains no problem over this network before.  Does this make sense to
10 >> anyone?
11 >
12 > I'd compare the output of strace ping <host> and strace ssh <host>. Anything
13 > in nsswitch.conf? It seems to be used by ssh, but not by the host command.
14 > Which is new to me.
15
16 nsswitch.conf looks straighforward and should be default. I get a lot
17 of output from those straces. Can you tell me what to look for?
18
19 > Any recent changes in ~/.ssh/config or /etc/ssh/ssh_config?
20
21 ~/.ssh/config doesn't exist and /etc/ssh/ssh_config is all commented out.
22
23 > Normally I'd say this just can't happen...
24
25 If I remove the domain and nameserver declarations in /etc/resolv.conf
26 and add 'nameserver 8.8.8.8', it works properly. Is this something I
27 should investigate, or more of a "don't worry about it" situation? I
28 should be off of this wireless network very soon.
29
30 - Grant