From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS error with ssh
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 01:44:28
1 Grant writes:
2
3 > I'm not able to ssh to any domain, although IPs work. I get:
4 >
5 > $ ssh example.com
6 > ssh: Could not resolve hostname example.com: Name or service not known
7 >
8 > I can ping domains no problem, and web browsing works. I've tried
9 > rebooting and re-emerging openssh. I am connected to an unfamiliar
10 > wireless network (with no alternative right now) but I could ssh to
11 > domains no problem over this network before. Does this make sense to
12 > anyone?
13
14 I'd compare the output of strace ping <host> and strace ssh <host>. Anything
15 in nsswitch.conf? It seems to be used by ssh, but not by the host command.
16 Which is new to me.
17
18 Any recent changes in ~/.ssh/config or /etc/ssh/ssh_config?
19
20 Normally I'd say this just can't happen...
21
22 Wonko