From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] soliciting a DHCP lease / carrier lost
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 16:02:36
1 On Tuesday 04 Apr 2017 09:12:16 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 04/04/2017 01:26 AM, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Monday 03 Apr 2017 20:21:28 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4
5 > >> The Cat5 is about 15-20meter long, I test it with a cable tester, it is
6 > >> good (all the lights light up in correct order).
7 > >> Cable is plugged in into a new switch.
8
9 This may merely indicate they have been wired correctly (pin to pin). Unless
10 your tester is 'intelligent' to also measure things like attenuation, DC loop
11 resistance and cross talk and it can also calculate attenuation to cross talk
12 ratio, you cannot be sure your cable will perform to specification.
15 > > Long cables are more susceptible to electromagnetic interference - keep
16 > > their runs separate from mains cables.
17 >
18 > Shouldn't CAT5 be able to handle 100m run?
19 > Am not sure I understand, "keep their runs separate from mains cables"?
20
21 Cat5e should be able to perform as specified in lengths up to 100m, when
22 correctly terminated and without high cross talk. If your ethernet cable
23 installation is running parallel to mains power and in close physical
24 proximity, it may pick up noise, which will reduce its performance. It is
25 better where ethernet and mains runs come together to cross them at 90 degrees
26 angles to minimise the effect of interference.
27
28 Either way, you have lost carrier errors. Random google result on causes of
29 lost carrier errors, in case it helps:
30
31 https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/9543606/what-causes-output-errors-ethernet-interface
34 Regards,
35 Mick