From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] soliciting a DHCP lease / carrier lost
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 15:12:23
1 On 04/04/2017 01:26 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 Apr 2017 20:21:28 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> The new box I installed in remote location has a problem obtaining IP
4 >> address. The box was working perfectly on my local LAN.
5 >>
6 >> In remote location I assigned static IP to it 10.10.0.5
7 >
8 > Where and how? At the router IP address table, against the PC's MAC address?
9 > At the PC itself using a static IP address and gateway in /etc/conf.d/net?
10
11 The remote location router runs DD-WRT (dhcpd), so all static IP's are assigned via DD-WRT and MAC address.
12
13 >> Previously this IP was assigned to a Virtual Box but I no longer use it,
14 >> so I assign this IP to a new box.
15 >>
16 >> The box was working for a day, but now when I boot the box I get
17 >> - soliciting a DHCP lease
18 >> - carrier lost
19 >
20 > The "carrier lost" error indicates a link going down. The lease renewal is
21 > likely to fail at least while the link is down. The link failure may be due
22 > to an electrical hard fault, e.g. faulty Cat5e cable, RJ45 socket/plug; or due
23 > to high electromagnetic interference. Check the router stats for carrier lost
24 > errors. If the counters show the link is being dropped regularly you should
25 > try to eliminate each component in the circuit the cause of the fault.
26
27 The cable tester I have (cheap) is showing the CAT5 cable is OK.
28 http://www.primecables.com/p-309139-cab-ss35407-tester-network-cable-tester-crimping-tools-combo-for-rj-45-rj-11-primecables?gclid=CJzU2JKJi9MCFQYMaQodEyIHeA
29
30 >> Could the old IP get stuck somewhere in DD-WRT router?
31 >>
32 >> ping 10.10.0.5 - gives me no response.
33 >
34 > You may find arping a better instrument for investigating the use of IP
35 > addresses in your LAN.
38 >> The Cat5 is about 15-20meter long, I test it with a cable tester, it is
39 >> good (all the lights light up in correct order).
40 >> Cable is plugged in into a new switch.
41 >
42 > Long cables are more susceptible to electromagnetic interference - keep their
43 > runs separate from mains cables.
44
45 Shouldn't CAT5 be able to handle 100m run?
46 Am not sure I understand, "keep their runs separate from mains cables"?
47
48 Electromagnetic interference - could be a problem, and it is hard to troubleshoot.
49
50 >> I'll try to assign different address to it tomorrow and will try a new
51 >> router on Friday.
52 >
53 > The new router should eliminate the router as the cause of the problem.
57 Thelma