From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] encrypting file for Windows users
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 00:46:52
1 On 04/23/2017 05:13 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm looking for a solution to encrypt and attachment to Windows users.
4 >> gpg does not support "sda" Self Decrypting Archives.
5 >>
6 >> Occasionally I have to send an attachment via email and would prefer if
7 >> the file was encrypted. Asking Windows users to use PGP is almost
8 >> impossible.
9 >> Sending them txt.exe and asking the to run it will not go well.
10 >>
11 >> --
12 >> Thelma
15 > 7zip can create AES256 encrypted archives, and the majority of Windows
16 > "power users" will have it installed already.
17 >
18 > Unfortunately if you want asymmetric encryption there is not much else
19 > besides GnuPG. Gpg4Win offers a GUI and might be more friendly. There
20 > is also the Enigmail plugin for Mozilla Thunderbird.
21 >
22 > As strange as this might sound, you should also consider telling your
23 > recipient to install Cygwin and GnuPG, as often times (at least in my
24 > experience) the main problem with using GPG on Windows is buggy
25 > wrapper layers. If it is used directly there are next to no issues.
26 > Should your recipients be at all inclined the necessary commands can
27 > be remembered easily and don't need much modification.
28
29 Thanks, yes p7zip worked OK.
30 7za a myfile.zip Customer_152149.pdf IMG_0125.JPG -tzip -mem=AES256 -mx9 -p123
31
32 extracting:
33 7z e myfile.zip
36 Thelma