From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] encrypting file for Windows users
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 23:14:21
1 On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm looking for a solution to encrypt and attachment to Windows users.
3 > gpg does not support "sda" Self Decrypting Archives.
4 >
5 > Occasionally I have to send an attachment via email and would prefer if
6 > the file was encrypted. Asking Windows users to use PGP is almost
7 > impossible.
8 > Sending them txt.exe and asking the to run it will not go well.
9 >
10 > --
11 > Thelma
14 7zip can create AES256 encrypted archives, and the majority of Windows
15 "power users" will have it installed already.
16
17 Unfortunately if you want asymmetric encryption there is not much else
18 besides GnuPG. Gpg4Win offers a GUI and might be more friendly. There
19 is also the Enigmail plugin for Mozilla Thunderbird.
20
21 As strange as this might sound, you should also consider telling your
22 recipient to install Cygwin and GnuPG, as often times (at least in my
23 experience) the main problem with using GPG on Windows is buggy
24 wrapper layers. If it is used directly there are next to no issues.
25 Should your recipients be at all inclined the necessary commands can
26 be remembered easily and don't need much modification.