From: dnlt0hn5ntzhbqkv51 <dnlt0hn5ntzhbqkv51@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Things that can be improved
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:02:27
1 On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:12:13 -0400, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 7/7/06, Rafael Fernández López <info@××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> The first thing that I'd change is "etc-update" or
6 >> "dispatch-conf". I'd
7 >> suggest to create some kind of tool like "dpkg-reconfigure" in Debian.
8 >
9 > I don't know anything about dpkg-reconfigure, so I can't really comment
10 > on this.
11 >
12 > But one thing I really do like about gentoo is that I *can* go modify
13 > configuration files directly, without worrying about some distribution
14 > tool clobbering my changes, or choking on something it wasn't setup to
15 > deal with. This is one of the things that drove me from SuSE. I
16 > would really object to some kind of "configuration file configurator"
17 > app.
18
19 Agree wholeheartedly.
20
21 I want to learn and use Linux (well, Gentoo Linux :-) )- not some
22 distribution-dependent GUI(s).
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list