From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:31:42
1 On 7/7/06, Rafael Fernández López <info@××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > The first thing that I'd change is "etc-update" or "dispatch-conf". I'd
3 > suggest to create some kind of tool like "dpkg-reconfigure" in Debian.
4
5 I don't know anything about dpkg-reconfigure, so I can't really comment on this.
6
7 But one thing I really do like about gentoo is that I *can* go modify
8 configuration files directly, without worrying about some distribution
9 tool clobbering my changes, or choking on something it wasn't setup to
10 deal with. This is one of the things that drove me from SuSE. I
11 would really object to some kind of "configuration file configurator"
12 app.
13
14 > Second thing that I'd improve is a security one. I know that "emerge"
15 > is a very cared package, but it is a script. Suppose that someone
16
17 I think this is a non-issue. Something like this would be found
18 incredibly quickly by the portage devs working in their overlay, and
19 they would know how to fix it. In the worst of all possible cases, it
20 might theoretically make it to the ~arch users, who again, presumably
21 have enough experience to know how to resurrect their systems without
22 resorting to a live CD and re-install.
23
24 It is far more likely that you could break python (and thus portage)
25 from a mishandled gcc or glibc update. But there is already a
26 recovery option available in this case; if you have buildpkg in your
27 FEATURES, you will already have a backup copy of
28 portage/python/gcc/glibc/everything else in $PKGDIR. Even if portage
29 is broken, you can extract those tarballs to get back to a working
30 configuration. Of course, this assumes that tar and bzip2
31 work...otherwise you are down to booting from a live CD.
34 One area I do think could be improved is in the update process.
35 Currently we have etc-update, revdep-rebuild, fix_libtool_files.sh,
36 eselect {opengl,gcc,binutils}, python-updater, perl-cleaner, and so
37 on. Each update requires running one or more of these. But which
38 ones, when, why, and in what order? I *think* _I_ know the answers to
39 those questions, but I would bet most users do not. So I think a
40 little more automation (or at least hand-holding) in portage to deal
41 with the above would be very useful. Something like:
42
43 emerge -DNuv world
44 <several hours later>
45 Updates done.
46
47 Hmm, looks like a new version of python was installed. You should run
48 python-updater to make sure all python modules are rebuilt. Do you
49 want to do that now?
50
51 -Richard
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list