From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:39:14
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 --snip
4 > It is far more likely that you could break python (and thus portage)
5 > from a mishandled gcc or glibc update. But there is already a
6 > recovery option available in this case; if you have buildpkg in your
7 > FEATURES, you will already have a backup copy of
8 > portage/python/gcc/glibc/everything else in $PKGDIR. Even if portage
9 > is broken, you can extract those tarballs to get back to a working
10 > configuration. Of course, this assumes that tar and bzip2
11 > work...otherwise you are down to booting from a live CD.
12 --snip
13 Well, correct me if I'm wrong but it think it's not quite true.
14
15 I *think* if you have buildpkg in your FEATURES, you will
16 get binary packages in your $PKGDIR with the new, updated versions.
17 Those that you have just emerged , not the previous ones which you
18 would like to have backed up. Having the newly compiled packages
19 $PKGDIR can be exported via http server as an alias for example:
20 "alias /packages /usr/portage/packages"
21 and used as PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://192.168.0.1/packages
22 in /etc/make.conf on a buch of other machines. This way one doesn't
23 compile on every single machine but use the already compiled packages.
24 Very useful if you have many equal (as hardware) machines with the
25 same settings in "make.conf".
26 The only way (I'm aware of) to make a semiautomatic backup of
27 an already installed package is to use "qpkg"
28 "qpkg" is available in "app-portage/gentoolkit"
31 On the subject.
32
33 I would say that I like end use Gentoo for two main reasons:
34 1) it is a binary distro, which means optimization, customization and speed.
35 2) gentoo doesn't mess with MY config settings without asking if it should.
36 I would hate if some automated tool is ****ing MY settings without my
37 knowledge.
38
39 About the "damaged portage" issue...well, I agree with others who think it
40 is highly unlikely a damaged version to go out and get available for
41 the users.
42
43 My "wish list"
44 1) I would like to see an implementation of "PAUSE". I mean, during most
45 of the emerges there is not only one package to be emerged. Some of the
46 packages have instructions for additional post installation steps that
47 the user
48 should take. Well, I think there should be a "FETURE", a flag to
49 "emerge" or
50 some other mechanism to tell portage to wait for confirmation if the ebuild
51 gives such information.
52 2) More control over portages verbosity. Most of the time I only need to see
53 the portages messages, not all the compilation stuff. The later is
54 interesting
55 to me only if the compilation fails.
56 3) I hate ebuilds that are rewriting variables that I have set. For
57 example I
58 couldn't find a way to compile mplayer with
59 "--disable-runtime-cpudetection",
60 many packages overwrite C(XX)FLAGS. They change "-O3" to "-O2" etc.
61 "Gentoo is about choices" but why this happens? My opinion is that portage
62 should warn about the "too aggressive setting" but to let ME chose to change
63 the settings or not.
68 Best regards,
69 Daniel
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list