From: Justin R Findlay <justin@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 07:33:16
1 On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:00:27AM +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > 1) I would like to see an implementation of "PAUSE".
3
4 <ctrl>-s, <ctrl>-q seems to work for me.
5
6 > 2) More control over portages verbosity. Most of the time I only need to see
7 > the portages messages, not all the compilation stuff. The later is
8 > interesting
9 > to me only if the compilation fails.
10
11 In my /etc/make.conf I have:
12
13 PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="info warn error log"
14 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="mail syslog"
15 PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root@××××××××.us"
16
17 with sys-apps/portage-2.1.1_pre2-r4. I don't remember which version it
18 was introduced. That doesn't control build verbosity but you can always
19 do
20
21 # emerge {package} 1>/var/tmp/portage/emerge.out
22 2>/var/tmp/portage/emerge.err
23
24 or something like that. If you tell it to, portage will log every last
25 configure and gcc statement spewed forth on the command line into
26 /var/log/portage/.
27
28 > 3) I hate ebuilds that are rewriting variables that I have set. For
29 > example I
30 > couldn't find a way to compile mplayer with
31 > "--disable-runtime-cpudetection",
32 > many packages overwrite C(XX)FLAGS. They change "-O3" to "-O2" etc.
33 > "Gentoo is about choices" but why this happens? My opinion is that portage
34 > should warn about the "too aggressive setting" but to let ME chose to change
35 > the settings or not.
36
37 Gentoo generally overwrites C(XX)FLAGS only when they are problematic
38 (unpredictable or cause breakage) for certain platforms/packages. If
39 you have a customized ebuild you can always drop it into your own
40 overlay. Mine is in /usr/local/portage. If you have multiple overlays
41 you can use gensync from the gentoolkit-dev package to sync with them.
44 Justin
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list