From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 09:28:38
1 On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:00:27 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2
3 > 1) I would like to see an implementation of "PAUSE". I mean, during most
4 > of the emerges there is not only one package to be emerged. Some of the
5 > packages have instructions for additional post installation steps that
6 > the user
7 > should take. Well, I think there should be a "FETURE", a flag to
8 > "emerge" or
9 > some other mechanism to tell portage to wait for confirmation if the
10 > ebuild gives such information.
11
12 emerge is, by definition, a non-interactive program (apart from --ask
13 which works before emerge starts its business). Use the ELOG features of
14 portage 2.1 to have this messages save to a file, mailed to you or read
15 out with festival.
16
17 > 3) I hate ebuilds that are rewriting variables that I have set. For
18 > example I
19 > couldn't find a way to compile mplayer with
20 > "--disable-runtime-cpudetection",
21
22 EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-runtime-cpudetection" emerge --options mplayer
23
24 This doesn't work with every ebuild, but it does with most of them.
25
26 > many packages overwrite C(XX)FLAGS. They change "-O3" to "-O2" etc.
27 > "Gentoo is about choices" but why this happens? My opinion is that
28 > portage should warn about the "too aggressive setting" but to let ME
29 > chose to change the settings or not.
30
31 If it is know that the package will fail with -O3, what is the point of
32 letting it through, even if it warns you. However, an einfo message
33 whenever CFLAGS are overridden would be nice.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 I can see clearly now, the brain is gone...