From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:11
1 On 7/7/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 7/7/06, Rafael Fernández López <info@××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The first thing that I'd change is "etc-update" or "dispatch-conf". I'd
4 > > suggest to create some kind of tool like "dpkg-reconfigure" in Debian.
5 >
6 > I don't know anything about dpkg-reconfigure, so I can't really comment on this.
7 >
8 > But one thing I really do like about gentoo is that I *can* go modify
9 > configuration files directly, without worrying about some distribution
10 > tool clobbering my changes, or choking on something it wasn't setup to
11 > deal with. This is one of the things that drove me from SuSE. I
12 > would really object to some kind of "configuration file configurator"
13 > app.
14 >
15 > > Second thing that I'd improve is a security one. I know that "emerge"
16 > > is a very cared package, but it is a script. Suppose that someone
17 >
18 > I think this is a non-issue. Something like this would be found
19 > incredibly quickly by the portage devs working in their overlay, and
20 > they would know how to fix it. In the worst of all possible cases, it
21 > might theoretically make it to the ~arch users, who again, presumably
22 > have enough experience to know how to resurrect their systems without
23 > resorting to a live CD and re-install.
24 >
25 > It is far more likely that you could break python (and thus portage)
26 > from a mishandled gcc or glibc update. But there is already a
27 > recovery option available in this case; if you have buildpkg in your
28 > FEATURES, you will already have a backup copy of
29 > portage/python/gcc/glibc/everything else in $PKGDIR. Even if portage
30 > is broken, you can extract those tarballs to get back to a working
31 > configuration. Of course, this assumes that tar and bzip2
32 > work...otherwise you are down to booting from a live CD.
35 > One area I do think could be improved is in the update process.
36 > Currently we have etc-update, revdep-rebuild, fix_libtool_files.sh,
37 > eselect {opengl,gcc,binutils}, python-updater, perl-cleaner, and so
38 > on. Each update requires running one or more of these. But which
39 > ones, when, why, and in what order? I *think* _I_ know the answers to
40 > those questions, but I would bet most users do not. So I think a
41 > little more automation (or at least hand-holding) in portage to deal
42 > with the above would be very useful. Something like:
43 >
44 > emerge -DNuv world
45 > <several hours later>
46 > Updates done.
47 >
48 > Hmm, looks like a new version of python was installed. You should run
49 > python-updater to make sure all python modules are rebuilt. Do you
50 > want to do that now?
53 That's more likely to be needed. +1
56 Daniel da Veiga
57 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil