From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox managed by my organization?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 10:26:54
1 On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 09:57:33 GMT n952162 wrote:
2 > On 2020-03-03 10:27, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 03:58:12 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 11:16:52PM +0100, n952162 wrote
5 > >>
6 > >>> I have a banner that says that "your browser is being managed by your
7 > >>> organization". Oh yeah? I guess that would be gentoo. How can I break
8 > >>> that relationship?
9 > >>>
10 > >> Do you have Avast and/or AVG anti-virus? See
11 > >>
12 > >> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264369 (Firefox) and
13 > >> https://www.howtogeek.com/410106/why-does-chrome-say-its-managed-by-your-> >> org anization/ (Chrome). Some browsers have started to report when they
14 > >> detect external control, whether by Windows policies, or Avast/AVG.
15 > >> Firefox seems to be following the lead of Chrome here.
16 > >
17 > > Are you sure this applies to Linux?
18 > >
19 > > I had thought the warning shows up when some of the browser's default
20 > > settings have been changed, or additional TLS Certificates have been
21 > > loaded. If you go to 'about:policies' you'll see anything changed there.
22 > > In mine FF has DisableAppUpdate, because I manage this via portage and
23 > > don't need FF to notify me, or even worse try to update itself.
24 >
25 > Yes, that's my situation. You're right, if you click on the banner, it
26 > takes you to about:policies and I'm happy with that policy. When I
27 > wrote the original post, it wasn't clear that that's all that's
28 > affected, but I presume that's so.
29 >
30 > The issue where it arose is that certain settings are not being recorded
31 > for me - at least, I presume that the privacy warning tab isn't supposed
32 > to appear on every start, and that I ought to be able to change my home
33 > page. As tempting as it is to see a conspiracy, once I realized that I
34 > couldn't even unpin Amazon and have it stayed unpinned, I started
35 > suspecting that something is wrong in my installation.
36
37 You *should* be able to change your homepage. Go into Preferences/Home/New
38 Windows and Tabs. Then set there what you prefer to see on the page when
39 Firefox launches or a new Tab is opened.