From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox managed by my organization?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 10:21:46
1 On 2020-03-03 10:27, Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 03:58:12 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 11:16:52PM +0100, n952162 wrote
4 >>
5 >>> I have a banner that says that "your browser is being managed by your
6 >>> organization". Oh yeah? I guess that would be gentoo. How can I break
7 >>> that relationship?
8 >> Do you have Avast and/or AVG anti-virus? See
9 >> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264369 (Firefox) and
10 >> https://www.howtogeek.com/410106/why-does-chrome-say-its-managed-by-your-org
11 >> anization/ (Chrome). Some browsers have started to report when they detect
12 >> external control, whether by Windows policies, or Avast/AVG. Firefox
13 >> seems to be following the lead of Chrome here.
14 > Are you sure this applies to Linux?
15 >
16 > I had thought the warning shows up when some of the browser's default settings
17 > have been changed, or additional TLS Certificates have been loaded. If you go
18 > to 'about:policies' you'll see anything changed there. In mine FF has
19 > DisableAppUpdate, because I manage this via portage and don't need FF to
20 > notify me, or even worse try to update itself.
23 Yes, that's my situation.  You're right, if you click on the banner, it
24 takes you to about:policies and I'm happy with that policy.  When I
25 wrote the original post, it wasn't clear that that's all that's
26 affected, but I presume that's so.
27
28 The issue where it arose is that certain settings are not being recorded
29 for me - at least, I presume that the privacy warning tab isn't supposed
30 to appear on every start, and that I ought to be able to change my home
31 page.  As tempting as it is to see a conspiracy, once I realized that I
32 couldn't even unpin Amazon and have it stayed unpinned, I started
33 suspecting that something is wrong in my installation.
34
35 Someday when I have a day or two to waste, I'll re-emerge it.