From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox managed by my organization?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 09:28:24
1 On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 03:58:12 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 11:16:52PM +0100, n952162 wrote
3 >
4 > > I have a banner that says that "your browser is being managed by your
5 > > organization". Oh yeah? I guess that would be gentoo. How can I break
6 > > that relationship?
7 >
8 > Do you have Avast and/or AVG anti-virus? See
9 > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264369 (Firefox) and
10 > https://www.howtogeek.com/410106/why-does-chrome-say-its-managed-by-your-org
11 > anization/ (Chrome). Some browsers have started to report when they detect
12 > external control, whether by Windows policies, or Avast/AVG. Firefox
13 > seems to be following the lead of Chrome here.
14
15 Are you sure this applies to Linux?
16
17 I had thought the warning shows up when some of the browser's default settings
18 have been changed, or additional TLS Certificates have been loaded. If you go
19 to 'about:policies' you'll see anything changed there. In mine FF has
20 DisableAppUpdate, because I manage this via portage and don't need FF to
21 notify me, or even worse try to update itself.