From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:56
1 AFAIK, link-local addresses shall not be used for usual services like
2 HTTP. They are only for neighbour discovery, local multicasts (all local
3 NTP servers, all local DHCP servers, and so on) or pinging.
4
5 It is possible (by specifying %interface) to access them, but this
6 remains unimplemented in most programs, as it is not usual / advisable
7 to use them this way.
8
9 I think your intention was probably to do some local testing in a LAN,
10 IPv6 offers two working possibilities:
11
12 * Usage of site-local addresses: For simple local testing, you could
13 assign (usually statically) site-local addresses. These are not routed
14 to the internet, but are not local to a single interface, and therefore
15 routed as usual IPv6 unicast traffic. However, this method has be
16 declared as obsolete and should not be used any more, but it still works
17 in all implementations I've seen.
18
19 * The "real" way for addresses within a LAN is to assign globally unique
20 addresses. In IPv6, this usually works this way: The ISP assigns a /64
21 subnet to your local router, who propagates this subnet via router
22 advertisements as the local network prefix. All computers in the network
23 choose their address within this subnet, either statically (default) or
24 randomly (privacy extensions). It is then possible, that those addresses
25 can be used world-wide, in order to isolate machines within your
26 network, AFAIK the advised way is to set up a proper firewall on your
27 router (or local machine), denying world wide access.
28
29 However, the world of IPv6 changed a lot and many things got obsoleted /
30 extended, it's sometimes hard to find documentation about the really
31 advised newest way of doing things... In addition, there's of course
32 lots of criticism, especially about privacy or security.
33
34 I used to try out site-local addresses first btw, despite they were
35 already obsoleted some time ago.
36
37 Regards,
38 Felix