From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:27:11
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > How do you specify a link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts?
3 >
4 > For example, I can ping/telnet/ssh to fe80::02c0:4eff:fe07:0005%eth1,
5 > but I can't figure out how to put that address in /etc/hosts so I can
6 > access it by name.
7
8 Tried several different approaches, can't get any of them to work. I
9 don't know where the bug is, though.
10
11 I did find that if I leave off the %iface in /etc/hosts, I get an
12 "invalid argument" error from ping6. I suspect there's a bug in ping6.
13 Working directly and extensively with link-local interfaces is *bound*
14 to reveal a bunch of bugs, because that's not intended SOP in IPv6, you
15 have to be more aware of which link scope you're talking to, and I doubt
16 most developers take it into account.
19 > Similarly, how do you enter an ipv6 link-local address in Firefox or
20 > Opera? curl seems to accept such an address and return the proper web
21 > page, but I can't find any interactive browser (graphical or
22 > command-line) that will accept a link-local address. So far I've
23 > tried Firefox Opera w3m links. According to RFC2732 it looks like the
24 > format should be
25 >
26 > http://[fe80::02c0:4eff:fe07:0005%eth1]:80/
27 >
28 > But none of the browsers accept that.
29
30 That's probably a bug in each browser.