From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 07:49:11
1 On Friday 24 Jun 2016 18:47:11 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On 24/06/2016 17:40, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > >>> On Friday 24 Jun 2016 09:54:35 Dale wrote:
6 > >>>> I agree that the news item was confusing. The guide it linked to
7 > >>>> wasn't
8 > >>>> much better either. In the end, I just fiddled with the setting
9 > >>>> until I
10 > >>>> found a setting that didn't change what I already have, in other
11 > >>>> words,
12 > >>>> I got a clean emerge -uvaDN world. My first couple runs wanted to
13 > >>>> remove things and I knew the setting wasn't right yet. After it
14 > >>>> was all
15 > >>>> done, this is what I ended up with:
16 > >>>>
17 > >>>> LINGUAS="en_US en"
18 > >>>>
19 > >>>> I left the LANG setting as is for the moment.
20 > >>>
21 > >>> Didn't you set L10N as well? I read the news item as requiring it.
22 > >>
23 > >> As I said, the news item and even the guide the news item pointed to
24 > >> doesn't explain much. When I run into a doc that doesn't give me enough
25 > >> info, or so much that it doesn't make sense, then I resort of trying
26 > >> settings until I get a output that tells me that the setting I tried
27 > >> works. At first, I tried "en" but some packages were going to be
28 > >> rebuilt. Then I tried "en-US" and that caused other packages to want to
29 > >> be rebuilt. Then I put in both and I got what I expected, a clean
30 > >> emerge output that showed it wasn't going to change anything from what I
31 > >> already had.
32 > >>
33 > >> I guess when L10N starts causing packages to build differently, I'll add
34 > >> it . As it is, I'm not real sure what if anything it does that
35 > >> affects me.
36 > >
37 > > Right now it does nothing, it is only setting the groundwork for
38 > > something in the near future.
39 > >
40 > > LINGUAS in the environment is a really bad idea, GNU gettext uses it
41 > > to decide what translated messages to generate, but does it poorly and
42 > > packages use it inconsistently. Gentoo uses it to decide what
43 > > localization to use, which often includes which language packs to
44 > > download and install - something that gettext's LINGUAS never goes near.
45 > >
46 > > So the choice of name on Gentoo's part is really poor. What really
47 > > needs to happen is that a dedicated variable L10N replaces what
48 > > LINGUAS does in ebuilds, and when the whole tree is converted LINGUAS
49 > > as a USE_EXPAND goes away. What you do right now is do what the news
50 > > item says to do which is copy LINGUAS to L10N in make.conf, then it is
51 > > done and you can go on your merry way confident that all will be fine.
52 > >
53 > > Really, it's all there in the news item clear as daylight and
54 > > completely unambiguous.
55 > >
56 > > You fellows really like over-complicating news items and asking way
57 > > too many "what if?" questions. Y'all need to knock that crap off now :-)
58 >
59 > I tried to comment out each one one at a time. Whenever I do, emerge
60 > wants to remove some of the languages, en to be more precise. I don't
61 > know if maybe some ebuilds or something else is a little behind or what
62 > but I guess I'll leave it as is until I know it won't change something
63 > that I need. Each way that I try it, it affects different packages.
64 >
65 > I read the news item and was confused. I read it again and was even
66 > more confused. After the third time, I didn't see any point in reading
67 > it again so I went to the link, hoping it would be better. Well, not
68 > really. So, I just started messing with it until I got a setting that
69 > worked. Hey, it's in there and it works. Now the news item and the
70 > howto don't matter. lol
71 >
72 > Dale
73 >
75
76 Did you read *all* the URLs in the news item? Even if the URL on language
77 tags and gettext were TL;DR, the last URL pointing you to the gentoo Wiki page
78 on localization should be straight forward to follow.
81 Regards,
82 Mick