From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:00:09
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 24 Jun 2016 18:47:11 Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 24/06/2016 17:40, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 >>>>> On Friday 24 Jun 2016 09:54:35 Dale wrote:
7 >>>>>> I agree that the news item was confusing. The guide it linked to
8 >>>>>> wasn't
9 >>>>>> much better either. In the end, I just fiddled with the setting
10 >>>>>> until I
11 >>>>>> found a setting that didn't change what I already have, in other
12 >>>>>> words,
13 >>>>>> I got a clean emerge -uvaDN world. My first couple runs wanted to
14 >>>>>> remove things and I knew the setting wasn't right yet. After it
15 >>>>>> was all
16 >>>>>> done, this is what I ended up with:
17 >>>>>>
18 >>>>>> LINGUAS="en_US en"
19 >>>>>>
20 >>>>>> I left the LANG setting as is for the moment.
21 >>>>> Didn't you set L10N as well? I read the news item as requiring it.
22 >>>> As I said, the news item and even the guide the news item pointed to
23 >>>> doesn't explain much. When I run into a doc that doesn't give me enough
24 >>>> info, or so much that it doesn't make sense, then I resort of trying
25 >>>> settings until I get a output that tells me that the setting I tried
26 >>>> works. At first, I tried "en" but some packages were going to be
27 >>>> rebuilt. Then I tried "en-US" and that caused other packages to want to
28 >>>> be rebuilt. Then I put in both and I got what I expected, a clean
29 >>>> emerge output that showed it wasn't going to change anything from what I
30 >>>> already had.
31 >>>>
32 >>>> I guess when L10N starts causing packages to build differently, I'll add
33 >>>> it . As it is, I'm not real sure what if anything it does that
34 >>>> affects me.
35 >>> Right now it does nothing, it is only setting the groundwork for
36 >>> something in the near future.
37 >>>
38 >>> LINGUAS in the environment is a really bad idea, GNU gettext uses it
39 >>> to decide what translated messages to generate, but does it poorly and
40 >>> packages use it inconsistently. Gentoo uses it to decide what
41 >>> localization to use, which often includes which language packs to
42 >>> download and install - something that gettext's LINGUAS never goes near.
43 >>>
44 >>> So the choice of name on Gentoo's part is really poor. What really
45 >>> needs to happen is that a dedicated variable L10N replaces what
46 >>> LINGUAS does in ebuilds, and when the whole tree is converted LINGUAS
47 >>> as a USE_EXPAND goes away. What you do right now is do what the news
48 >>> item says to do which is copy LINGUAS to L10N in make.conf, then it is
49 >>> done and you can go on your merry way confident that all will be fine.
50 >>>
51 >>> Really, it's all there in the news item clear as daylight and
52 >>> completely unambiguous.
53 >>>
54 >>> You fellows really like over-complicating news items and asking way
55 >>> too many "what if?" questions. Y'all need to knock that crap off now :-)
56 >> I tried to comment out each one one at a time. Whenever I do, emerge
57 >> wants to remove some of the languages, en to be more precise. I don't
58 >> know if maybe some ebuilds or something else is a little behind or what
59 >> but I guess I'll leave it as is until I know it won't change something
60 >> that I need. Each way that I try it, it affects different packages.
61 >>
62 >> I read the news item and was confused. I read it again and was even
63 >> more confused. After the third time, I didn't see any point in reading
64 >> it again so I went to the link, hoping it would be better. Well, not
65 >> really. So, I just started messing with it until I got a setting that
66 >> worked. Hey, it's in there and it works. Now the news item and the
67 >> howto don't matter. lol
68 >>
69 >> Dale
70 >>
71 >> :-) :-)
72 > Did you read *all* the URLs in the news item? Even if the URL on language
73 > tags and gettext were TL;DR, the last URL pointing you to the gentoo Wiki page
74 > on localization should be straight forward to follow.
77 That was actually the one I went to. I noticed it was the Gentoo wiki
78 and figured it would be easier to figure out. Maybe I should have tried
79 the others looking back with hindsight.
80
81 Dale
82