From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netifrc, configure by SSID and MAC simultaneously?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 07:49:09
1 On Saturday 22 Apr 2017 00:45:31 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 Apr 2017 00:08:25 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday 21 Apr 2017 13:39:52 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > > I was referring to the situation where you use the DHCP server to give
5 > > > out pseudo-static addresses. I have always used addresses outside of,
6 > > > but
7 > > > in the same subnet as, the reserved range. The reserved range just
8 > > > tells
9 > > > the DHCP server which addresses to use in the absence of any other
10 > > > specifications.
11 > >
12 > > Eh? How do you do that? You tell the router what range of addresses it
13 > > can use, then you tell it to use one outside that range? Can't be done
14 > > - if I've understood you.
15 >
16 > I understood Neil to mean:
17 >
18 > You pre-allocate IP addresses to specific MAC addresses for a range of
19 > e.g. 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.10. Any new comers with MAC addresses not
20 > in the DHCP address allocation table will then obtain IP addresses
21 > outside this defined range. Some routers also allow you to specify the
22 > range within which DHCP addresses will be allocated. So you can set
23 > static address allocation outside said range.
24
25 Ah. Then he's describing a setup much like my own. I just didn't read it
26 right the first time.
29 Regards
30 Peter