From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netifrc, configure by SSID and MAC simultaneously?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 23:45:56
1 On Saturday 22 Apr 2017 00:08:25 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 21 Apr 2017 13:39:52 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > I was referring to the situation where you use the DHCP server to give
4 > > out pseudo-static addresses. I have always used addresses outside of, but
5 > > in the same subnet as, the reserved range. The reserved range just tells
6 > > the DHCP server which addresses to use in the absence of any other
7 > > specifications.
8 >
9 > Eh? How do you do that? You tell the router what range of addresses it can
10 > use, then you tell it to use one outside that range? Can't be done - if I've
11 > understood you.
12
13 I understood Neil to mean:
14
15 You pre-allocate IP addresses to specific MAC addresses for a range of e.g.
16 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.10. Any new comers with MAC addresses not in the
17 DHCP address allocation table will then obtain IP addresses outside this
18 defined range. Some routers also allow you to specify the range within which
19 DHCP addresses will be allocated. So you can set static address allocation
20 outside said range.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick