From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 03:29:05
1 On Thursday 26 May 2016 09:10:12 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > You'll spend a while getting used to git, there's no way around it. You
3 > just have to pick a project and force yourself to use git all day. All
4 > of the commands have the wrong names:
5 >
6 > * Want to check out a repository? There's `git checkout`, but that's
7 > not what it does. You want `git clone`.
8 >
9 > * Want to start a new branch? There's `git branch`, but what you
10 > actually want is `git checkout`.
11 >
12 > * Want to reset the modifications you've made to a file? There's
13 > `git reset`, but what you really want is `git checkout`.
14 >
15 > * Want to merge your changes with upstream? There's `git merge`,
16 > but chances are, you want `git pull --rebase`.
17 >
18 > * Want to commit a new file? There's `git commit`, but it won't work.
19 >
20 > ...and so on.
21
22 So, it was written by a headstrong, ivory-tower academic whose first language
23 isn't English? ;)
24
25 > That said, after my bicycle, git is probably the most useful piece of
26 > technology I use on a daily basis. All of the time I spent banging my
27 > head on my desk turned out to be well worth it. So, don't despair too
28 > much.
31 Rgds
32 Peter