From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:10:29
1 On 05/26/2016 04:32 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > Aye, there's the rub. Git is a closed book to me at the moment. Having to
4 > learn how to use it would at least triple my time to get up to speed. Time,
5 > I have plenty of (DV, as they say in religious circles), but my brain
6 > doesn't go nearly as well as it did 40 years ago.
9 You'll spend a while getting used to git, there's no way around it. You
10 just have to pick a project and force yourself to use git all day. All
11 of the commands have the wrong names:
12
13 * Want to check out a repository? There's `git checkout`, but that's
14 not what it does. You want `git clone`.
15
16 * Want to start a new branch? There's `git branch`, but what you
17 actually want is `git checkout`.
18
19 * Want to reset the modifications you've made to a file? There's
20 `git reset`, but what you really want is `git checkout`.
21
22 * Want to merge your changes with upstream? There's `git merge`,
23 but chances are, you want `git pull --rebase`.
24
25 * Want to commit a new file? There's `git commit`, but it won't work.
26
27 ...and so on.
28
29 That said, after my bicycle, git is probably the most useful piece of
30 technology I use on a daily basis. All of the time I spent banging my
31 head on my desk turned out to be well worth it. So, don't despair too much.