From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 08:32:37
1 On Wednesday 25 May 2016 18:19:38 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 05/25/2016 06:09 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Well, considering the importance of gummiboot to some of us, I might be
4 > > willing to take it on - if I just knew a bit more about package
5 > > maintenance. As I've said many times in recent years, my days of coding
6 > > expired about 25 years ago, and then it was in very different systems
7 > > from Linux.
8 > These days it's a lot easier to get practice because you don't have to
9 > deal with CVS. If you clone our git repo as your $PORTDIR, then you can
10 > make your changes and `repoman commit` just like the rest of us. If
11 > you're okay with Github, you can create pull requests there from that
12 > same clone.
13
14 Aye, there's the rub. Git is a closed book to me at the moment. Having to
15 learn how to use it would at least triple my time to get up to speed. Time,
16 I have plenty of (DV, as they say in religious circles), but my brain
17 doesn't go nearly as well as it did 40 years ago.
18
19 > You should probably read through the entire devmanual once, but there's
20 > no substitute for practice and asking questions.
21
22 Sounds like good advice - I'll go and find it now.
23
24 > There are a lot of easy bugs open on bugs.gentoo.org that you could fix
25 > to get experience. If you fix something in a maintainer-needed package
26 > and post a pull request, I don't see why we couldn't just merge it.
27 > You'll get good feedback that way. In fact, in the worst case, if
28 > gummiboot drops to maintainer-needed, you could fix bugs and make
29 > version bumps that way without the commitment of being the maintainer.
30
31 Thanks for the encouragement. I'll muse awhile.
34 Rgds
35 Peter