From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 22:19:52
1 On 05/25/2016 06:09 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, considering the importance of gummiboot to some of us, I might be
4 > willing to take it on - if I just knew a bit more about package maintenance.
5 > As I've said many times in recent years, my days of coding expired about 25
6 > years ago, and then it was in very different systems from Linux.
9 These days it's a lot easier to get practice because you don't have to
10 deal with CVS. If you clone our git repo as your $PORTDIR, then you can
11 make your changes and `repoman commit` just like the rest of us. If
12 you're okay with Github, you can create pull requests there from that
13 same clone.
14
15 You should probably read through the entire devmanual once, but there's
16 no substitute for practice and asking questions.
17
18 There are a lot of easy bugs open on bugs.gentoo.org that you could fix
19 to get experience. If you fix something in a maintainer-needed package
20 and post a pull request, I don't see why we couldn't just merge it.
21 You'll get good feedback that way. In fact, in the worst case, if
22 gummiboot drops to maintainer-needed, you could fix bugs and make
23 version bumps that way without the commitment of being the maintainer.