From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 00:16:07
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 05/25/2016 06:09 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> Well, considering the importance of gummiboot to some of us, I might be
4 >> willing to take it on - if I just knew a bit more about package maintenance.
5 >> As I've said many times in recent years, my days of coding expired about 25
6 >> years ago, and then it was in very different systems from Linux.
7 >>
8 > These days it's a lot easier to get practice because you don't have to
9 > deal with CVS. If you clone our git repo as your $PORTDIR, then you can
10 > make your changes and `repoman commit` just like the rest of us. If
11 > you're okay with Github, you can create pull requests there from that
12 > same clone.
13 >
14 > You should probably read through the entire devmanual once, but there's
15 > no substitute for practice and asking questions.
16 >
17 > There are a lot of easy bugs open on bugs.gentoo.org that you could fix
18 > to get experience. If you fix something in a maintainer-needed package
19 > and post a pull request, I don't see why we couldn't just merge it.
20 > You'll get good feedback that way. In fact, in the worst case, if
21 > gummiboot drops to maintainer-needed, you could fix bugs and make
22 > version bumps that way without the commitment of being the maintainer.
28 My thinking is along the same lines as yours. Having anyone that is
29 willing to help is likely much better than no one at all and the package
30 ending up dying and leaving the tree all together. If someone can do
31 some of the heavy lifting and just push the needed info to someone else
32 who can push it into the tree, that should buy it some time at least.
33 Maybe at some point a official dev can step up.
34
35 The biggest thing, I didn't want it to get kicked out of the tree and
36 then the people that use it here end up going "what the heck" because
37 they didn't see it coming.
38
39 Me, I want to set up a very basic backup script on a cron job to copy
40 from one local drive to another local drive. Even that little thing is
41 a big deal for me. Don't even mention writing a ebuild within hearing
42 range of me. ROFL I'm to old for that stuff now. ;-)
43
44 Dale
45