From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 00:50:29
1 Am Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 12:58:29PM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:
2
3 > Its not raid, just a btrfs single on disk (no partition).  Contains a
4 > single borgbackup repo for an offline backup of all the online
5 > borgbackup repo's I have for a 3 times a day backup rota of individual
6 > machines/data stores
7
8 So you are borg’ing a repo into a repo? I am planning on simply rsync’ing
9 the borg directory from one external HDD to another. Hopefully SMR can cope
10 with this adequatly.
11
12 And you are storing several machines into a single repo? The docs say this
13 is not supported officially. But I have one repo each for /, /home and data
14 for both my PC and laptop. Using a wrapper script, I create snapshots that
15 are named $HOSTNAME_$DATE in each repo.
16
17 > - I get an insane amount of de-duplication that way for a slight decrease
18 > in conveniance!
19
20 And thanks to the cache, a new snapshots usually is done very fast. But for
21 a yet unknown reason, sometimes Borg re-hashes all files, even though I
22 didn’t touch the cache. In that case it takes 2½ hours to go through my
23 video directory.
26 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
27 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
28
29 “If a ship with 1000 investment bankers sinks in heavy seas, it is a
30 tragedy. If only one of them can swim, it is a disaster.” – Urban Priol