From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dual monitors and dual desktops
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:43:11
1 On 2012-10-25, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 2012-10-25, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > I have a laptop and an external monitor.
7 >>
8 >> Here's how I do it using Xorg.config
9 >>
10 >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
11 >> Section "ServerLayout"
12 >> Identifier "Triple"
13 >> Screen 0 "Samsung0"
14 >> Screen 1 "Samsung1" rightof "Samsung0"
15 >> Screen 2 "Acer" leftof "Samsung0"
16 >> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
17 >> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
18 >> EndSection
19 >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
20 >>
21 >> There are three Device sections (one for one video card, and one for
22 >> each of the DVI outputs on a second video card). There are then three
23 >> corresponding Screen sections (named Samsung0, Samsung1, and Acer).
26 > Does this setup really separate the screens to 2 desktops and not one big
27 > virtual desktop?
28
29 My configuration above provides 3 separate X displays and 3 separate
30 desktops.
31
32 The mouse pointer and focus moves among the three screens as you would
33 expect, but each screen is a a separate X display. The three DISPLAY
34 variables end up as ":0.0", ":0.1", and ":0.2". [There's only one X
35 server running.]
36
37 That means you can't drag a window from one screen to another, and a
38 window can't overlap across two screens.
39
40 It also means for a few applications you can only have the app running
41 on one screen at a time. The vast majority of X apps don't care. But
42 some, like Firefox (and other web browsers like Chrome and Opera),
43 have added extra logic to prevent it. You'll have to ask the
44 developers why, but I think it has something to do with their
45 unwillingness to deal with file-locking when accessing config files.
46
47 In _my_ particular configuration, I also have XFCE configured so that
48 each of the three screens is configured with a pager that can flip
49 through four virtual desktops independently of the other two screens.
50
51 So I actually have a total of 12 virtual desktops (3 sets of 4).
54 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards
55 at
56 gmail.com