From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I keep baselayout-1?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:16:04
1 On Friday, December 09, 2011 04:45:05 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Dec 9, 2011 2:18 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, December 8, 2011 5:01 pm, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > > > On Dec 8, 2011 9:46 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > >> This server is ~50 miles away, and if I screw something
6 > > >> and it does not boot up, I will have to go there and fix it
7 > > >> on place. One small typo in ~50 config-files which must be
8 > > >> updated is just enough to cause it...
9 > > >
10 > > > That's why I no longer deploy baremetal servers these days. Always
11 > > > as a VM
12 > > > on top of a hypervisor, with a small VM dedicated as an SSH tunnel.
13 > > > If I mess up, I can use the hypervisor management tool to reboot
14 > > > the VM, or open
15 > > > a console session, or even revert to a "known good" state.
16 > >
17 > > A seperate machine with serial-console or Ethernet-KVM on the mainboard
18 > > also helps. Especially when updating the host :)
19 > >
20 > > My new servers will all have Ethernet-KVM for this reason.
21 >
22 > How I wish I can deploy an Ethernet KVM... my boss thought it was a good
23 > idea, until he saw the price tag :-/
24 >
25 > Rgds,
26
27 My new server has one on the mainboard (Tyan S5512GM4NR) that has a web-
28 interface from which I can start a java-app for remote desktop.
29
30 Other options: reset/power control, online read-out of sensor-data and I can
31 patch the BIOS without starting the server.
32
33 First time I got this and I like it enough to want it for future servers.
36 Joost