From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I keep baselayout-1?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 09:46:44
1 On Dec 9, 2011 2:18 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, December 8, 2011 5:01 pm, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > > On Dec 8, 2011 9:46 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> This server is ~50 miles away, and if I screw something
7 > >> and it does not boot up, I will have to go there and fix it
8 > >> on place. One small typo in ~50 config-files which must be
9 > >> updated is just enough to cause it...
10 > >>
11 > >
12 > > That's why I no longer deploy baremetal servers these days. Always as a
13 > > VM
14 > > on top of a hypervisor, with a small VM dedicated as an SSH tunnel. If I
15 > > mess up, I can use the hypervisor management tool to reboot the VM, or
16 > > open
17 > > a console session, or even revert to a "known good" state.
18 >
19 > A seperate machine with serial-console or Ethernet-KVM on the mainboard
20 > also helps. Especially when updating the host :)
21 >
22 > My new servers will all have Ethernet-KVM for this reason.
25 How I wish I can deploy an Ethernet KVM... my boss thought it was a good
26 idea, until he saw the price tag :-/
27
28 Rgds,