From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I keep baselayout-1?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 07:17:02
1 On Thu, December 8, 2011 5:01 pm, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Dec 8, 2011 9:46 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This server is ~50 miles away, and if I screw something
5 >> and it does not boot up, I will have to go there and fix it
6 >> on place. One small typo in ~50 config-files which must be
7 >> updated is just enough to cause it...
10 > That's why I no longer deploy baremetal servers these days. Always as a
11 > VM
12 > on top of a hypervisor, with a small VM dedicated as an SSH tunnel. If I
13 > mess up, I can use the hypervisor management tool to reboot the VM, or
14 > open
15 > a console session, or even revert to a "known good" state.
16
17 A seperate machine with serial-console or Ethernet-KVM on the mainboard
18 also helps. Especially when updating the host :)
19
20 My new servers will all have Ethernet-KVM for this reason.
23 Joost