From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 7. Configuring the Kernel
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:02:41
1 On Saturday 17 November 2007, Thufir wrote:
2 > To clarify:
3 >
4 > Fedora is on hda, gentoo on hdb. The /boot/grub.conf file boots both
5 > fine; this partition is mounted seperately, it's referenced correctly as
6 > (hd1,0) meaning the hdb, the first partition. Both Gentoo kernels are in
7 > the same partition, same directory reflected in mount as:
8 >
9 > /dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
12 > Which correlates with the GRUB entry of (hd1,0).
15 > The root filesystem is the same for both kernels, this is reflected in
16 > mount as:
17 >
18 > /dev/hdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
19 >
20 > Again, this matches the GRUB entry.
23 > The full mount command shows:
24 >
25 > arrakis ~ #
26 > arrakis ~ # mount
27 > /dev/hdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
28 > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
29 > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
30 > udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
31 > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec)
32 > /dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
33 > none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
34 > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/VolGroup00/LogVol00 type ext3
35 > (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
36 > usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
37 > (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
38 > arrakis ~ #
39 > arrakis ~ # cat /etc/gentoo-release
40 > Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
41 > arrakis ~ #
42 > arrakis ~ # date
43 > Sat Nov 17 11:05:14 PST 2007
44 > arrakis ~ #
45 > arrakis ~ #
50 > The *exact* wording, the particulars of the error message GRUB gives
51 > differs slightly from the example I posted. The error (to the best of my
52 > recollection) is:
55 > Booting 'gentoo Linux'
56 >
57 > root (hd1,0)
58 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
59 > kernel /kernel-has-alsa root=/dev/hdb3
60 >
61 > Error 15: File not found
62 > Press any key to continue...
63
64 So if you look into /dev/hdb1 while mounted under /boot, can you see a file
65 called "kernel-has-alsa"?
66
67 > I'm just noticing (after a bit of sleep) that the form is slightly
68 > different from the example I gave:
69 >
70 > Booting 'gentoo Linux'
71 >
72 > root (hd0,0)
73 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
74 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 vga=792
75
76 This is a different boot partition - I guess this is the Fedora installation
77 (first disk, first partition). You need the symlink:
78
79 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Mar 20 2006 boot -> .
80
81 for the above line to work.
82
83 > Error 15: File not found
84 > Press any key to continue...
88 > in that the line specifying the kernel has (hd0,0)/boot/kernel... in the
89 > example, but the error message I give doesn't have the correlating
90 > (hd1,0)/boot/ prefix.
91
92 You seem to be 'mixing and matching' disks and partitions here. You now refer
93 back to the Gentoo /boot partition. Decide which one disk/partition you want
94 to boot and pass the correct line for it to the Grub bootloader (which is
95 firing up from the MBR of hda).
96
97 Regarding the genkernel (which I have never used) it makes use of a initrd to
98 bring up the necessary modules at boot up (before the kernel has been
99 loaded).
100
101 I hope that this helps, otherwise post back again.
102 --
103 Regards,
104 Mick