From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 7. Configuring the Kernel
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:26:37
1 To clarify:
2
3 Fedora is on hda, gentoo on hdb. The /boot/grub.conf file boots both
4 fine; this partition is mounted seperately, it's referenced correctly as
5 (hd1,0) meaning the hdb, the first partition. Both Gentoo kernels are in
6 the same partition, same directory reflected in mount as:
7
8 /dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
11 Which correlates with the GRUB entry of (hd1,0).
14 The root filesystem is the same for both kernels, this is reflected in
15 mount as:
16
17 /dev/hdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
18
19 Again, this matches the GRUB entry.
22 The full mount command shows:
23
24 arrakis ~ #
25 arrakis ~ # mount
26 /dev/hdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
27 proc on /proc type proc (rw)
28 sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
29 udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
30 devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec)
31 /dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
32 none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
33 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/VolGroup00/LogVol00 type ext3
34 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
35 usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
36 (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
37 arrakis ~ #
38 arrakis ~ # cat /etc/gentoo-release
39 Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
40 arrakis ~ #
41 arrakis ~ # date
42 Sat Nov 17 11:05:14 PST 2007
43 arrakis ~ #
44 arrakis ~ #
49 The *exact* wording, the particulars of the error message GRUB gives
50 differs slightly from the example I posted. The error (to the best of my
51 recollection) is:
54 Booting 'gentoo Linux'
55
56 root (hd1,0)
57 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
58 kernel /kernel-has-alsa root=/dev/hdb3
59
60 Error 15: File not found
61 Press any key to continue...
64 I'm just noticing (after a bit of sleep) that the form is slightly
65 different from the example I gave:
66
67 Booting 'gentoo Linux'
68
69 root (hd0,0)
70 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
71 kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 vga=792
72
73 Error 15: File not found
74 Press any key to continue...
78 in that the line specifying the kernel has (hd0,0)/boot/kernel... in the
79 example, but the error message I give doesn't have the correlating
80 (hd1,0)/boot/ prefix.
83 I would say that this is why the file cannot be found.
86 Also, it occurred to me that the genkernel which works (currently in use)
87 could just be copied to "genkernel2" in the same location, then a
88 corresponding entry in GRUB could be made. What would it mean if the
89 same error occurred when GRUB went to boot this "genkernel2"?
90
91 I'm thinking that there's some sort of missing piece. It's good to know
92 that it's not a module problem, and this makes sense. If it were a
93 module then presumably, please correct me, the kernel would at least be
94 "found" and a different error message would occur during the actual
95 boot. This message is within GRUB, I can press a key and boot a
96 different GRUB entry.
100 thanks,
101
102 Thufir