From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 7. Configuring the Kernel
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:04:02
1 On Saturday 17 November 2007, Thufir wrote:
2 > I'm currently getting error 15 from GRUB, of the "Code Listing 4.2: Grub
3 > Output - Booting an Entry" variety. I can boot into either Gentoo or
4 > Fedora, but not into Gentoo with the new kernel.
5 >
6 > The Gentoo doc's say to "First, verify that the root and setup lines you
7 > have used are correct." I don't know how to verify that the root and
8 > setup lines are correct. The only difference between entries for the two
9 > Gentoo kernels are the kernels specified in GRUB. The /boot/ partition
10 > would look to be (hd1,0) and the root partition would look to be /dev/
11 > hdb3; at a minimum these work for the genkernel so should work for the
12 > new kernel.
13
14 I am not sure which disk you have installed gentoo in, so some guessing will
15 be necessary. Pressing e to get you into edit mode when Grub is booting and
16 then using the find command or tab completion will tell you what partitions
17 you have available and where Grub's root fs is found. Of course if you have
18 installed Grub in more than one disk and partition then some trial and error
19 should get you there.
20
21 > Perhaps it's a naming convention? I gave the kernel a name meaningful to
22 > me, not knowing what other name to give it version wise.
23
24 As long the kernel image file name in /boot and in your grub.conf entry is the
25 same there shouldn't be a problem.
26
27 > I can always
28 > recompile the kernel if necessary. Could it be a modules issue?
29
30 Yes it can, although not on this occasion because it gives a different error.
31 Make sure that essential things like your MoBo chipset and your root fs are
32 compiled in the kernel, not as modules. Alternatively, you'll need to build
33 a fat initrd to contain these and make them available at boot time.
34
35 > I
36 > didn't understand that step of configuring the kernel. However, it might
37 > be something else, as it would seem to me that it would still at least
38 > *start* to boot and not give this particular error:
39 >
40 > "Code Listing 4.2: Grub Output - Booting an Entry
41 >
42 > Booting 'gentoo Linux'
43 >
44 > root (hd0,0)
45 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
46 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 vga=792
47
48 This is trying to boot a file called kernel-2.4.20 in a directory called /boot
49 inside your first partition, of your first disk. Do you have a /boot
50 directory in /boot partition in there? Does it boot if you remove /boot from
51 that line?
52
53 > Error 15: File not found
54 > Press any key to continue..."
55
56 It did not find the file you told it in there.
57
58 > although some of the particulars are different.
61 > Here's what I have so far:
64 > arrakis ~ #
65 > arrakis ~ # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
66 > default 0
67 > timeout 30
68 > splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
71 > title=Gentoo Linux with ALSA
72 > root (hd1,0)
73 > kernel /kernel-has-alsa root=/dev/hdb3
74
75 So, this has a file called kernel-has-alsa which is in the first partition of
76 the *second* hard drive?
77
78 > title=Gentoo Linux
79 > root (hd1,0)
80
81 *second* hard drive too?
82
83 See if the above helps otherwise post back.
84 --
85 Regards,
86 Mick