From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 16:39:13
1 On 2020-11-24, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 15:01:35 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Can you imagine an fstab with 22 partitions? Doesn't bear thinking
5 >> > about.
6 >>
7 >> Yes. I have one with 12 and often wish it had more.
8 >>
9 >> It comes in handy when you need to test drivers and applications
10 >> against different distros, and your customers use 4-5 different
11 >> versions of RHEL, 4-5 different versions of Ubuntu, a couple random
12 >> versions of SuSe, Mint, Arch, etc. You could of course, have 12 (or
13 >> 22) different hard drives that you swap in/out of the machine, but
14 >> that's tiresome and expensive.
15 >
16 > But actual partitions?
17
18 Yes. Each with a separate Linux distro installed.
19
20 Perhaps you can do that with a volume manager instead of partitions
21 (using partitions has worked fine for the past 20 years, so I've never
22 looked into it).