From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I run a 32-bit CentOS chroot on a 64-bit Gentoo host?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 14:06:09
1 On 07/02/2017 16:01, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 10:32:16PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote
3 >
4 >> It depends on how good the Pale build system is. What you would be
5 >> doing is similar to cross-compiling, and you need the build system be
6 >> ready for that kind of thing.
7 >
8 > [...deletia...]
9 >
10 >> Unfortunately I'm not intimate with the Mozilla/Pale build system so I
11 >> can't give you yea or nay, but maybe you can search for information
12 >> whether it can be (really) cross-compiled. If yes, then your scenario
13 >> should work too.
14 >
15 > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Cross-compiling_Mozilla
16 > says it can be cross-compiled. Actually, what I'm trying to do is to
17 > *NOT* make it look like a cross compile. That's why I want to rsync "/"
18 > (all of /dev/sda1) from the VM to a directory on the host. This would
19 > give an entire 32-bit CentOS install, including toolchain, system libs,
20 > etc, without splattering 32-bit libs all over my host system. It would
21 > all be contained in the chroot directory. And, oh yeah, I run the
22 > "default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib" profile.
26 Why not just do it and see what happens?
27
28 You won't break anything on the host, the VM stays as it was and if the
29 chroot breaks - well it was a copy that you can recreate with ease
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com