From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading iwl3945 erratic
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:47:18
1 On Thursday 18 September 2008 01:20:28 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:32:21 Espen Hustad wrote:
4 > >> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:03:52 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >>> Hi all,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
8 > >>> power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no
9 > >>> pattern at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold
10 > >>> rebooted, powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other
11 > >>> usual thing. I don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.
12 > >
13 > > mac80211 is a module - I learned long ago to make as modules everything
14 > > that can work as a module :-) Some more info I omitted from the original
15 > > post:
16 >
17 > have you tried:
18 > - /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop
19 > - unload module
20 > - reload, continue ?
21
22 Tried that but it doesn't work. If I get that "power level message = -1"
23 message in dmesg, nothing works until I reboot/powercyle, then it's pot luck
24 if it'll start next time
25
26 > I have a precision M6300 with the iwl 4965, and all my problems can
27 > usually be solved the above way, although our two laptops are different.
28 >
29 > > the driver I use is the in-kernel iwl3945 (part of iwlwifi)
30 > > iwl3945-ucode is installed
31 >
32 > have you recompiled ucode since you last built the module?
33
34 Yes, but we can nuke that as a contributing factor - there's no compiling to
35 be down. The ebuild just unpacks a binary blob and moves it to /lib/firmware
36
37 > > But I've run out of ideas on how to falsify these theories :-(
38 >
39 > One answer to these questions is Winblows. If it works continuously
40 > there, then it's not your hw. Another option is reseating the mpci
41 > card, or even trying a different one. Otherwise try and match your
42 > kernel and ucode versions with someone who has it working... But I'm
43 > sure you've thought of that :)
44
45 Windows isn't feasible, but an Ubuntu LiveCD is :-) I'll spend some time
46 tonight after work cycling the machine enough times to get a decent record
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com