From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading iwl3945 erratic
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:21:04
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:32:21 Espen Hustad wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:03:52 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
7 >>> power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no
8 >>> pattern at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold
9 >>> rebooted, powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other usual
10 >>> thing. I don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.
11
12 > mac80211 is a module - I learned long ago to make as modules everything that
13 > can work as a module :-) Some more info I omitted from the original post:
14
15 have you tried:
16 - /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop
17 - unload module
18 - reload, continue ?
19
20 I have a precision M6300 with the iwl 4965, and all my problems can
21 usually be solved the above way, although our two laptops are different.
22
23 > the driver I use is the in-kernel iwl3945 (part of iwlwifi)
24 > iwl3945-ucode is installed
25
26 have you recompiled ucode since you last built the module?
27
28 > As far as I can tell, everything I should have done according to that page and
29 > to http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Iwlwifi has been done.
30 >
31 > Working purely from a techie's gut feel here (i.e. no evidence whatsoever),
32 > this behaviour looks like what I might get from the following circumstances:
33 >
34 > - a register in the card is not being properly initialised by the firmware,
35 > sometimes a bit is 0 sometimes a 1 at random and the results are not
36 > determined
37 > - there's a module option that I missed when reading the source comments
38 > - a weird race condition at early boot, results are pot-luck
39 > - my hardware is busted
40 >
41 > But I've run out of ideas on how to falsify these theories :-(
42
43 One answer to these questions is Winblows. If it works continuously
44 there, then it's not your hw. Another option is reseating the mpci
45 card, or even trying a different one. Otherwise try and match your
46 kernel and ucode versions with someone who has it working... But I'm
47 sure you've thought of that :)
52 The idea is to die young as late as possible.
53 -- Ashley Montague