From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading iwl3945 erratic
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:22:27
1 On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:32:21 Espen Hustad wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:03:52 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
6 > > power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no
7 > > pattern at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold
8 > > rebooted, powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other usual
9 > > thing. I don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.
10 > >
11 > > Config:
12 > > alan@nazgul ~ $ zgrep IWL /proc/config.gz
13 > > CONFIG_IWLWIFI=m
14 > > CONFIG_IWLCORE=m
15 > > # CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS is not set
16 > > CONFIG_IWLWIFI_RFKILL=y
17 > > # CONFIG_IWL4965 is not set
18 > > CONFIG_IWL3945=m
19 > > CONFIG_IWL3945_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT=y
20 > > CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y
21 > > # CONFIG_IWL3945_DEBUG is not set
22 > >
23 > > alan@nazgul /etc $ grep -i iwl /etc/mod*conf
24 > > /etc/modprobe.conf:alias wlan0 iwl3945
25 >
26 > Hi!
27 >
28 > Do you have mac80211 compiled as a module or in kernel? See
29 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Ipw3945#iwlwifi for explanation. I'm not sure
30 > though if this is still a issue, or if it has been fixed.
31
32 mac80211 is a module - I learned long ago to make as modules everything that
33 can work as a module :-) Some more info I omitted from the original post:
34
35 the driver I use is the in-kernel iwl3945 (part of iwlwifi)
36 iwl3945-ucode is installed
37 As far as I can tell, everything I should have done according to that page and
38 to http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Iwlwifi has been done.
39
40 Working purely from a techie's gut feel here (i.e. no evidence whatsoever),
41 this behaviour looks like what I might get from the following circumstances:
42
43 - a register in the card is not being properly initialised by the firmware,
44 sometimes a bit is 0 sometimes a 1 at random and the results are not
45 determined
46 - there's a module option that I missed when reading the source comments
47 - a weird race condition at early boot, results are pot-luck
48 - my hardware is busted
49
50 But I've run out of ideas on how to falsify these theories :-(
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com