From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 10:15:07
1 On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 07:30:49 PM Mick wrote:
2 > On 29 December 2015 at 17:51, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 04:34:33 PM Mick wrote:
4 > > > Can you please advise what GRANTS did you use to create a dedicated
5 > > > postgresql user for akonadi?
6 > >
7 > > Grants?
8 >
9 > Yes, in the sense that the akonadi user will have certain privileges
10 > granted to be able to create tables, edit them, etc. I assume your
11 > commands grant all privileges.
12
13 Within that database, yes.
14
15 > I did the following:
16 > > % createuser -P <akonadiuser>
17 > > (NOTE: You need to set a password, which is why I use the "-P" option)
18 > >
19 > > % createdb -E UTF8 -O <akonadiuser> <akonadidb>
20 > >
21 > > My config for this is:
22 > >
23 > > % cat .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
24 > > [%General]
25 > > Driver=QPSQL
26 > >
27 > > [QPSQL]
28 > > Name=<akonadidb>
29 > > Host=localhost
30 > > Options=
31 > > ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
32 > > InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
33 > > StartServer=false
34 > > User=<akonadiuser>
35 > > Password=<akonadipassword>
36 > > Port=5432
37 > >
38 > > [Debug]
39 > > Tracer=null
40 > >
41 > > --
42 > > Joost
43 >
44 > Having been away from postgres for the best part of 7 years now, it is a
45 > struggle to find my feet again. As a result I have been chasing my tail on
46 > this task today, not making much progress. :-(
47
48 I was actually under the impression you had recent experience.
49 In this case, I would suggest to use the default, eg. let akonadi handle the
50 full database.
51
52 > Ideally, I'd like to keep any akonadi databases in ~/.local/share/akonadi/
53 > for simplicity of backups. I tried creating a symlink from the default
54 > directory /var/lib/postgresql/9.4/data, but all sort of fs access problems
55 > ensued when I tried to run 'emerge --config dev-db/postgresql:9.4'. I
56 > tried different ownerships and access rights and eventually I abandoned
57 > this idea just to get things going. I let pg to install its files in the
58 > default data directory.
59
60 I run postgresql under a different user and use the backup tools of the
61 database to generate backup files.
62 I prefer not to have a full database inside my home directory.
63
64 > Then I created a database and user. The initial user (akonadidbuser) could
65 > not access the database, so I created a different user the same as my unix
66 > user (michael):
67 >
68 > $ psql -U postgres -d postgres
69 > psql (9.4.5)
70 > Type "help" for help.
71 > postgres=# \l
72 > List of databases
73 > Name | Owner | Encoding | Collate | Ctype |
74 > Access privileges
75 > -----------+---------------+----------+---------+-------------+-------------
76 > -------------------- akonadidb | michael | UTF8 | C | en_GB.UTF-8
77 > | =Tc/michael +
78 >
79 > michael=CTc/michael
80 > postgres | postgres | UTF8 | C | en_GB.UTF-8 |
81 > template0 | postgres | UTF8 | C | en_GB.UTF-8 |
82 > =c/postgres +
83 >
84 > postgres=CTc/postgres
85 > template1 | postgres | UTF8 | C | en_GB.UTF-8 |
86 > =c/postgres +
87 >
88 > postgres=CTc/postgres
89 > (4 rows)
92 > However, when I try to start akonadi it fails because michael is not
93 > allowed to login ...:
94 >
95 > Failed to use database "akonadidb"
96 > Database error: "FATAL: role "michael" is not permitted to log in
97 > QPSQL: Unable to connect"
98 > Trying to create database now...
99 > QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still
100 > in use, all queries will cease to work.
101 > Database error: Cannot open database.
102 > Last driver error: "QPSQL: Unable to connect"
103 > Last database error: "FATAL: role "michael" is not permitted to log in
104 > "
105 > Unable to open database "FATAL: role "michael" is not permitted to log in
106 > QPSQL: Unable to connect"
109 > So eventually, I setup user 'postgres' in
110 > ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc, with no passwd and akonadi was able to
111 > start. Can you please help me to configure this correctly, so that the
112 > database is saved in my ~/.local fs and akonadi can use it?
113 >
114 > This is my akonadiserverrc at the moment:
115 >
116 > [%General]
117 > Driver=QPSQL
118 > SizeThreshold=4096
119 > ExternalPayload=false
120 >
121 > [QPSQL]
122 > Name=akonadidb
123 > Host=localhost
124 > User=postgres
125 > Password=
126 > Options=
127 > ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
128 > InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
129 > StartServer=false
130 > Port=5432
131
132 Yipes!
133
134 Seriously, unless you know what you are doing, let akonadi do it itself.
135 Stop akonadi, wipe the files, and restart akonadi.
136
137 Eg. run de database embedded.
138
139 You're making things far more complicated than necessary by trying to change
140 settings away from the default this much.
143 Joost