From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 13:54:42
1 On Thursday 31 Dec 2015 11:14:48 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 07:30:49 PM Mick wrote:
3
4 > > Having been away from postgres for the best part of 7 years now, it is a
5 > > struggle to find my feet again. As a result I have been chasing my tail
6 > > on
7 > > this task today, not making much progress. :-(
8 >
9 > I was actually under the impression you had recent experience.
10 > In this case, I would suggest to use the default, eg. let akonadi handle the
11 > full database.
12
13 Unfortunately, my world moved over to MySQL and I stopped using postgres. So,
14 I'm reading the fine manual again, but I find myself asking questions like ...
15 how do I do this MySQL command on postgres; e.g. on MySQL I set up a mysql
16 root user passwd before I do anything else. Isn't this the case with
17 postgres?
18
19 Or,
20
21 On MySQL I create a new user and grant him privileges on a database and then
22 that user can login and run whatever calls I have allowed on the database.
23 With postgres I got this '"FATAL: role "michael" is not permitted to log in'
24 error. :-/
27 > > This is my akonadiserverrc at the moment:
28 > >
29 > > [%General]
30 > > Driver=QPSQL
31 > > SizeThreshold=4096
32 > > ExternalPayload=false
33 > >
34 > > [QPSQL]
35 > > Name=akonadidb
36 > > Host=localhost
37 > > User=postgres
38 > > Password=
39 > > Options=
40 > > ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
41 > > InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
42 > > StartServer=false
43 > > Port=5432
44 >
45 > Yipes!
46
47 :-)
48
49 > Seriously, unless you know what you are doing, let akonadi do it itself.
50 > Stop akonadi, wipe the files, and restart akonadi.
51 >
52 > Eg. run de database embedded.
53
54 With the above set up using the default 'postgres' user, without a passwd,
55 akonadi is able to connect to the database and do its thing.
56
57 After some initial hickups with Kmail2 being too clever for it is own good
58 (there was some clash with akonadi resources of sorts, it could detect another
59 local mailer, etc.) I managed to configure two new IMAP4 accounts and I am now
60 using them quite successfully! :-)
61
62 Initial impressions (have not rebooted yet) is that this migration was much
63 less fraught with problems compared to previous attempts. I'll wait to see
64 how stable it will prove in daily usage.
65
66 Thank's again Joost for your kind help to get kmail2 going! :-)
67
68 PS. Would any postgresql gurus know why I can't login with some arbitrary
69 name/passwd in the postgres database?
70 --
71 Regards,
72 Mick