From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inhouse email
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:12:28
1 Digby Tarvin wrote:
2 > It is easy enough to set it up and test it in parallel with your
3 > current setup. Nothing important should be directed there till you
4 > advertise it..
5
6 That's fine for outgoing mail, but unless an MX record exists for the
7 internal server on a domain/subdomain, it's difficult to 'direct'
8 traffic from the outside in.
9
10 The only other way I can think off is to test the server using either a
11 telnet port or a script from an off-site computer onto the new server.
12
13 > I have been running a mail server on my home system ever since I got
14 > my DSL connection at home. It is where I normally direct mailing
15 > list traffic and other correspondence which is non critical,
16 > because I can create dedicated aliases which all point the the
17 > same ultimate mailbox, making it easy to identify where spammers
18 > have been obtaining addresses from, and making it possible to just
19 > invalidate the effected address...
20 >
21 > For person mail that I want to be able to access when I am
22 > travelling I use a mail forwarding address which can be
23 > pointed at an ISP hosted POP3 mailbox (which is polled using
24 > fetchmail when I am home) or when needed can be pointed direct
25 > to my home server.
26
27 All me e-mail comes in on my home server and has been now for ~3 years,
28 along with my families for the last year or so now that multiple domains
29 has been setup. I've even used it as an emergency backup for another
30 server when that went down.
31
32 As for remote access, I use IMAP over SSL. Most new phones and PDA's
33 support SSL encryption over IMAP and SMTP, plus I have the advantage of
34 all my mail being handled from one location.
37 Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
38 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
39 --
40 2.6.13-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
41 up 5:41, 2 users, load average: 1.22, 0.86, 0.83
42 --
43 "I can't help looking gay. I put on a dress and people say,
44 "Who's the dyke in the dress?""
45
46 ~ Karen Ripley
47 --