From: Johannes Kimmel <johannes.kimmel@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU "choking" under high load
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:38:38
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Daniel Quinn wrote:
4 >>> I don't know if this is a hardware issue or not, but I thought that maybe
5 >>> I'd
6 >>> configured my kernel incorrectly and that this might be a known issue
7 >>> someone
8 >>> here has run across in the past so here goes:
9 >>>
10 >>> My computer is a pretty impressive AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ box
11 >>> with 2GB of RAM and for the most part, I just use it to write code at
12 >>> work.
13 >>> However, whenever I'm doing something CPU-intensive, two things happen:
14 >>>
15 >>> * The load on the box goes up to 4
16 >>> * The box intermittently wobbles from running at full-speed and dropping
18 >>> a crawl. This is best seen while watching Flash videos online,
19 >>> compressing/encoding video, or compiling. Everything is fine for a
20 >>> few
21 >>> minutes, then suddenly the rate of compiling/compression/playback etc.
22 >>> drops to a crawl for about 1-3minutes, then back up to full speed.
23 >>>
24 >>> I don't know why it's happening. I've tried various kernel options with
25 >>> no
26 >>> change in behaviour. Outside of that though, I don't know what to try.
27 >>> Suggestions welcome :-(
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >> Shot in the dark here. Could it be that something is getting hot, or thinks
31 >> it is getting hot, and slows down processing in a effort to cool things down
32 >> a bit? I don't know if this is just laptops but I think there is a option
33 >> in the kernel to do this. I don't use it but it may be worth checking into.
34 >> Maybe it was turned on by default.
35 >
36 > Sometimes in the BIOS this happens, too. At work a few years ago we
37 > had a Dell laptop where it thought the temperature was 200C degrees
38 > all the time, so it would run the fan at full speed and go into
39 > lowest-power mode etc. Once we determined it wasn't really 200C, we
40 > found out it was a buggy BIOS and upgrading it solved the problem.
41 > Nobody knows why the laptop worked fine for 2 years and then suddenly
42 > exhibited this problem, but I was glad to get it fixed so I would stop
43 > hearing the fan blowing at max speed in the cubicle next to mine. :)
46 I have the very same problem with my GX700 msi laptop. I determined the
47 cause was a dirty cooler. Every time I blow the dust out of the fan
48 it can run hours without throttling itself.
49
50 If maybe your cpu-cooler is undersized and has collected a lot of dust,
51 cleaning it could solve your problem.
52
53 Johannes