From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU "choking" under high load
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:52:41
1 On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel Quinn wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I don't know if this is a hardware issue or not, but I thought that maybe
5 >> I'd
6 >> configured my kernel incorrectly and that this might be a known issue
7 >> someone
8 >> here has run across in the past so here goes:
9 >>
10 >> My computer is a pretty impressive AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ box
11 >> with 2GB of RAM and for the most part, I just use it to write code at
12 >> work.
13 >> However, whenever I'm doing something CPU-intensive, two things happen:
14 >>
15 >> * The load on the box goes up to 4
16 >> * The box intermittently wobbles from running at full-speed and dropping
18 >> a crawl. This is best seen while watching Flash videos online,
19 >> compressing/encoding video, or compiling. Everything is fine for a
20 >> few
21 >> minutes, then suddenly the rate of compiling/compression/playback etc.
22 >> drops to a crawl for about 1-3minutes, then back up to full speed.
23 >>
24 >> I don't know why it's happening. I've tried various kernel options with
25 >> no
26 >> change in behaviour. Outside of that though, I don't know what to try.
27 >> Suggestions welcome :-(
31 > Shot in the dark here. Could it be that something is getting hot, or thinks
32 > it is getting hot, and slows down processing in a effort to cool things down
33 > a bit? I don't know if this is just laptops but I think there is a option
34 > in the kernel to do this. I don't use it but it may be worth checking into.
35 > Maybe it was turned on by default.
36
37 Sometimes in the BIOS this happens, too. At work a few years ago we
38 had a Dell laptop where it thought the temperature was 200C degrees
39 all the time, so it would run the fan at full speed and go into
40 lowest-power mode etc. Once we determined it wasn't really 200C, we
41 found out it was a buggy BIOS and upgrading it solved the problem.
42 Nobody knows why the laptop worked fine for 2 years and then suddenly
43 exhibited this problem, but I was glad to get it fixed so I would stop
44 hearing the fan blowing at max speed in the cubicle next to mine. :)