From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Console serial terminal/console with command history?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 00:13:49
1 On 05/22/2018 05:12 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > The 3270 was completely screen-oriented. An entire screen was loaded
3 > from the host. That screen included fields with various attributes
4 > (e.g. editable vs. read-only). You could edit whatever was editable on
5 > the screen, and then when you hit "submit" the entire screen was sent to
6 > the host (there may have been an option to send only edited or editable
7 > fields, I don't remember the details). IOW, it worked vaguely like an
8 > HTML page containing a form. Except there were various entertaining
9 > ways things went wrong that don't happen with an HTML form. IIRC, if
10 > you inserted too much data into an improperly defined field, it could
11 > shift everything below it and muck up all the rest of the fields. I also
12 > seem to recall sometimes being able to edit fields that weren't really
13 > supposed to be editable, and then hilarity ensued when you hit submit.
14
15 I should have known / remembered that 3270 was screen oriented.
16
17 I've made the comparison to HTML forms multiple times myself.
18
19 Ya, the editable / non-editable setting was sent by the host and it
20 trusted that the client would not much with them. A number of mainframe
21 hackers have leveraged this (mis)feature before.
22
23 Some of the fields are similar to hidden fields in HTML forms.
24
25 > Though I did actually use some genuine IBM green-screen "3270-like"
26 > terminals, most of my experience was with 3270 emulators running under
27 > X11 -- so some of the fun was probably caused by bugs in the emulators.
28
29 Yep.
34 Grant. . . .
35 unix || die