From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Console serial terminal/console with command history?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 23:14:48
1 On 2018-05-22, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Aside: Now my brain is trying to remember the old differences between
4 > telnet and 3270 / 5250. I think that telnet was inherently line
5 > oriented (by default) and 3270 / 5250 were something else (but I don't
6 > remember what).
7
8 The 3270 was completely screen-oriented. An entire screen was loaded
9 from the host. That screen included fields with various attributes
10 (e.g. editable vs. read-only). You could edit whatever was editable
11 on the screen, and then when you hit "submit" the entire screen was
12 sent to the host (there may have been an option to send only edited or
13 editable fields, I don't remember the details). IOW, it worked
14 vaguely like an HTML page containing a form. Except there were
15 various entertaining ways things went wrong that don't happen with an
16 HTML form. IIRC, if you inserted too much data into an improperly
17 defined field, it could shift everything below it and muck up all the
18 rest of the fields. I also seem to recall sometimes being able to
19 edit fields that weren't really supposed to be editable, and then
20 hilarity ensued when you hit submit.
21
22 Though I did actually use some genuine IBM green-screen "3270-like"
23 terminals, most of my experience was with 3270 emulators running under
24 X11 -- so some of the fun was probably caused by bugs in the
25 emulators.
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm shaving!!
29 at I'M SHAVING!!
30 gmail.com