From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems after upgrading
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 01:49:48
1 On 5/28/06, Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Yesterday, among the packages in my upgrade list was kde-3.5. After
5 > getting the problem with perl-cleaner solved (thanks to the help on this
6 > list), the upgrade went apparently smoothly.
7 >
8 > According to what I read in some of the Gentoo documentation after
9 > booting into kde-3.5, I had to rebuild some of the packages against
10 > kde-3.5 in order for them to work, for example amarok. The rebuild of
11 > this went fine. I can listen to my music collection with amarok. I can
12 > play CD's with kscd. The problem seems to be with kaudio creator. And
13 > it is acting erratically.
14 >
15 > First, when I tried to rip a cd, it wouldn't encode it, nor would it let
16 > me configure the encoder (oggenc). I'm not sure how, but somehow, I got
17 > passed that, but the application would freeze part way through the
18 > ripping process. When I got the message that the application was not
19 > responding and I responded affirmatively when asked if I wanted to
20 > terminate it, ps -ax still showed the application as running and I
21 > couldn't kill it with kill -9. At this point, if I continued using the
22 > computer without a reboot, inevitably some other application would
23 > freeze up on me. However, if I rebooted and didn't use kaudiocreator
24 > again, everything seems to be fine.
25 >
26 > This time, I did check the list archives, but didn't notice anything
27 > relevant. I checked the bug list as well and there appears to be a
28 > couple of kdemultimedia bugs that have been reported. Whether or not my
29 > problem has something to do with the kdemultimedia bugs, I'm not sure.
30 > However, if anyone has any ideas here, I am open to suggestions.
31
32 Nothing obvious comes to mind, except checking dmesg (or
33 /var/log/messages) for anything ominous occuring at the time of the
34 trouble. You could also check ~/.xsession-errors for any error
35 messages from application(s).
36
37 -Richard
38 --